TNN Jan 24, 2014, 01.40AM IST | Times of India
BANGALORE: Looking to apply for a passport or renew the one you already have? Well, you can no longer depend on statements from private banks for address proof.
According to a ministry of external affairs notification, only 26 nationalized/public sector bank statements will be valid for this purpose. This is in effect stands effective from January 1, 2014. However, the notice issued on December 31, 2013, doesn’t say why private bank statements aren’t acceptable.
The idea is to scrutinize applications on the basis of authentic and genuine information. Officials say this is being done for security reasons as well. The notice states various passport applicants have requested a list of banks whose passbooks or statements are acceptable as proof of address.
The notice further states that though private bank statements are accepted in case of Aadhaar cards, opening of bank accounts and other public services or entitlements, issuance of passport entails security concerns at nation and international levels and, therefore, calls for added security checks.
The Passport Seva Kendras in Bangalore and Karnataka are helping applicants walking in with transaction statements of private banks to find alternatives, as elaborated by the ministry in the application forms.
HERE TO HELP
The notice has been issued by the ministry, and we are only following it. There are other documents that applicants can provide as address proof. We’ll help them with their queries through our website and helpline. They can also check at the enquiry counter at PSKs.
GET STATEMENT FROM
* Allahabad Bank
* Andhra Bank
* Bank of Baroda
* Bank of India
* Bank of Maharashtra
* Canara Bank
* Central Bank of India
* Corporation Bank
* Dena Bank
* Indian Bank
* Indian Overseas Bank
* Oriental Bank of Commerce
* Punjab National Bank
* Punjab and Sind Bank
* Syndicate Bank
* Union Bank of India
* United Bank of India
* UCO Bank
* Vijaya Bank
* IDBI Bank
* State Bank of India
* State Bank of Bikaner and Jaipur
* State Bank of Patiala
* State Bank of Hyderabad
* State Bank of Mysore
* State Bank of Travancore
WHAT ELSE WORKS AS PROOF
* Voter identity card
* Telephone bill (landline or post-paid mobile bill, BSNL or MTNL. At least two — one from previous year, other from current year)
* Electricity bill (at least two — one from last year, other from current year; not applicable for tenants)
* Proof of gas connection
* Certificate from employers on letterheads (only public limited companies can provide address proof on company letterhead along with its seal. Computerized printouts not accepted)
* Spouse’s passport copy (first and last page, including family details, provided the applicant’s present address matches the one mentioned in the spouse’s passport)
* Current and valid ration card (if any applicant submits only ration card as address proof, it should be accompanied by one more proof of address from the given categories)
* Parents’ passport copy, in case the applicant is a minor
* Aadhaar card (If your Aadhaar card was issued less than a year before your passport application processing date, it should be accompanied by one more proof of address from the mentioned categories)
* For minor applicants, present address proof document in the name of parent(s) can be submitted
— Source: Ministry of external affairs website
Source : http://goo.gl/TN1Qoo